The Shiatsu Diffusion Society is a self-regulated governing body for Shiatsupractors in Ontario approved by the International Shiatsu Association and the Japan Shiatsu
'Professional Designation Certified Shiatsupractor/CSP' is a professional
designation granted to an SDS member who has successfullygraduated from a program recognized by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities in Ontario and/or a program recognized by the ISA
internationally and/or has proven themselves competent through upgrade courses or experience.
The Shiatsu Diffusion Society is an organization dedicated to providing the highest educational and professional standards for Shiatsu therapy in Ontario.
The SDS purposes are:
- To establish and maintain a non-profit organization for Shiatsupractors.
- To promote, within Canada, understanding of true Shiatsu therapy which originated with Tokujiro Namikoshi Sensei in Japan.
- To foster elevation of the status of the Shiatsupractor.
- To assist in the improvement of the Shiatsu technique of the Shiatsupractor.
The Shiatsu Diffusion Society requires its members to practice Shiatsu according to the teachings of
Tokujiro Namikoshi and the definition set out by the Japanese Ministry of Health & Welfare, in the manner set out by the Japan Shiatsu Association. In particular, pressure is to be applied by the
thumbs, fingers and palms of the hand of the Shiatsupractor to anatomical prescribed points on the client's body. No other parts of the body such as knees or elbows, and no needles, mechanical
devices or other modalities are to be used in the Shiatsu treatment.
This Code sets out the Obligations and Duties of the Shiatsupractor with the objective of promoting and
achieving high standards in the practice of Shiatsu. Failure to comply with this Code may lead to temporary or permanent suspension of membership in the Shiatsu Diffusion Society.
- The Shiatsupractor's first consideration is the health and well being of the
- The Shiatsupractor must conduct himself or herself in a
manner which will uphold and maintain the quality and the high standards of the Shiatsu profession.
- The Shiatsupractor shall continually strive to improve his or her knowledge and
- The Shiatsupractor must not identify a Client when discussing details of treatment
with fellow practitioners. The Shiatsupractor must not divulge information given by the Client in confidence without the
consent of the Client or a court order.
- The Client's consent must be obtained before initiating treatment. Information about Shiatsu should be provided, and the Client's question should be answered before
- When it is necessary in the interests of the Client, the Shiatsupractor must
recommend to the Client that he or she seek expert medical advice. The Shiatsupractor must not attempt to diagnose a
contagious disease or disorder as the cause of an individual's symptom.
- SDS members respect the client's physical/emotional state, and do not abuse clients through actions, words or silence, nor take advantage of the therapeutic
relationship. They, in no way, participate in sexual activity with the client. They consider the client's comfort zone for touch and for degree of pressure, and honor the client's requests as much as
possible within personal, professional and ethical limits. They do not use elbows, knees or feet in the application of pressure to the client?fs body. They acknowledge the inherent worth and
individuality of each person and therefore do not unjustly discriminate against clients and colleagues.
- The Shiatsupractor shall encourage and educate the Client in the development of a
- The Shiatsupractor must at all times avoid sexual contact, advances and discussion
- The Shiatsupractor must not refuse any Client on the basis of sex, race, religion,
or political belief.
- The Shiatsupractor may not refuse or withdraw services without justifiable cause.
The Shiatsupractor may refuse treatment to a person who is abusive or intoxicated, has a contagious disease, or is
harassing the Practitioner or making sexual advances.
The City of Toronto accepts certification by the Shiatsu Diffusion Society (SDS) as validation for issuing a Holistic practitioner business license.
The Shiatsu Diffusion Society (SDS) has Group Professional Liability Insurance with the CSSBC. Active SDS members are required to have Professional Liability
We are presently working on having Shiatsu therapy when done by a shiatsupractor covered on extended health benefit plans.